Thursday, February 4, 2010

Creating Heirlooms

As I have mentioned before, there are gazillions of details to think about when planning a wedding.  My latest concern has been finding a knife to use when we cut the bride's cake. Of course I could go buy a brand new knife, but wouldn't it be more meaningful to use something that belonged to my parents?  

After suggesting this idea to my mommy, she immediately went to find the cake knife.  It still has the ribbon and flowers from their wedding day nearly 33 years ago!! Now the plan is to have my parents' monogram and date engraved into the knife. After our wedding, my fiance and I will have our monogram and date engraved too.  We will start a new tradition and pass the cake knife down for years to come creating a family heirloom.

5 comments:

  1. If I had known you were going to show the cake knife I would have polished it up some! At least washed it after nearly 33 years :) LOL
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely, may you be blessed with many little ones to pass this on to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great idea Jennifer....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS IS SO CHARMING, BEAUTIFUL, AND SO VERY PRECIOUS TO USE YOUR MOMMY AND DADDY'S CAKE KNIFE. I LOVE THE ENGRAVING PART. SO TRADITIONAL AND SO SWEET SPIRITED.
    HUGS
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

    ReplyDelete