Monday, November 2, 2009

Yankee Candle Meltdown

The little maintenance light in my Honda has been blinking at me for several days reminding me that my oil needed to be changed.  So this morning I headed off to Tameron Honda.  It was there that I learned the light was blinking because my car needed a 75,000 mile maintenance checkup in addition to the oil change.  Lovely.  Needless to say, I ended up spending an extra chunk of money on my vehicle that I hadn't expected.

Despite the large amound of money I had just invested in my car, I was so close to the galleria that I couldn't resist driving over just to "look"!!  I really did need some new mascara.  For exercise (wink, wink!),  I walked the long way around the mall just to "look" in the store windows. 

Then it happened. 

I saw Yankee Candle Company.  In two seconds flat, the tears woudn't stop coming.  You see, my sister Amber absolutely loved Yankee candles. She had a gazillion and always had them burning in her room.  My family and I used to make special outings just so we could go by Yankee Candle to get more candles.  I couldn't believe it, but just seeing the store immediately made me have a meltdown. I pulled it together so I could go inside and get my mom and I each a candle to burn in her remembrance this holiday season. The sales lady at the store asked me who I was shopping for.  Bless her heart, the simple, kind question triggered a major meltdown. I could hardly speak through my stream of tears.  I told her about my sister and the sweet lady just held me in her arms and let me cry.  She began crying too and told me her dad had passed away in May.  She let me get all my tears out.  We talked about our shared faith in our Heavenly Father and how it feels to grieve the loss of a loved one.  I left the store, knowing that God places angels in our lives everyday to help us through tough times.  Today, the Yankee Candle lady was my angel for the day.

The candle I purchased.  Spiced Pumpkin!
Yummy for Thanksgiving!



I also bought these cute little silver charms with the letter "A" for Amber!






2 comments:

  1. So sweet! I miss her so much too :(
    Love, Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smells play tricks on your mind don't they. I cannot smell White Linen by Estee Lauder without thinking of my Mum, and Baby Powder just melts my heart.

    I so love the shoes, I wish I could still wear heels they make you so special.

    I have added you to my favourites and will be back to visit often.

    ReplyDelete